I found an article that details some of the symptoms of autism:
* Delayed or unusual speech patterns (many autistic children, for example, memorize video scripts and repeat them word for word with the precise intonation as the TV characters)
* High pitched or flat intonation
* Lack of slang or "kidspeak"
* Difficulty understanding tone of voice and body language as a way of expressing sarcasm, humor, irony, etc.
* Lack of eye contact
* Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes)
I perosnally dont have experience but some friends have an autistic child and it is simply heartbreaking to watch sometimes. Although I admire their courage and bravery!